[Phys-seminars] 2011-04-04 Condensed Matter Seminar

manassen at bgu.ac.il manassen at bgu.ac.il
Wed Mar 30 15:17:26 IST 2011

Condensed Matter Seminar

  DATE: 04-04-2011

  TIME: 11:30am (Mon)

Non-equilibrium quantum critical states and phase transitions in the
presence of 1/f noise

SPEAKER:
Dr. Emanuele Dalla Torre, Dept of Condensed Matter Physics, Weizmann Institute

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Quantum critical points are characterized by scale-invariant
correlations and therefore by long-range entanglement. As such, they
present fascinating examples of quantum states of matter and their
study is an important theme in modern physics. However, little is
known about the fate of quantum criticality under non-equilibrium
conditions. Here we investigate the effect of external noise sources
on quantum critical points. It is natural to expect that noise will
have a similar effect to finite temperature, that is, destroying the
subtle correlations underlying the quantum critical behaviour.
Surprisingly, we find that the ubiquitous 1/f noise does preserve the
critical correlations. The emergent states show an intriguing
interplay of intrinsic quantum critical and external-noise-driven
fluctuations. We illustrate this general phenomenon with specific
examples describing solid-state and ultracold-atoms systems. Moreover,
our approach shows that genuine quantum phase transitions can exist
even under non-equilibrium conditions.

Reference:
E.G. Dalla Torre, E. Demler, T. Giamarchi, E. Altman, Nature Physics,
6, 806 (2010)