[Phys-seminars] 2011-05-11 Special Physics Seminar

physics at bgu.ac.il physics at bgu.ac.il
Sun May 8 12:11:34 IDT 2011

Special Physics Seminar

  DATE: 11-05-2011

  TIME: 15:15pm (Wed)

  PLACE: Nano Building Auditorium

TITLE:
Simulating a Gravity-Wave Observatory with a Few Thousand Atoms

SPEAKER:
Prof. Dan Stamper-Kurn, Berkeley

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
In cavity optomechanical systems, the motion of a
mechanical element is sensed by its influence on the field within an
electromagnetic resonator.  While their experimental realizations are
quite diverse, such systems are converging on the common goal of quantum
limited operation.   I will discuss the use of ensembles of ultracold
trapped atoms as mechanical elements within a high-finesse optical
cavity, as a realization of cavity optomechanics in the quantum
regime.   We have also begun exploring cavity optical interactions with
another collective variable of the trapped atoms: their spin.  The
optical cavity provides a powerful means for detecting spin dynamics,
permitting us to perform magnetic resolution imaging with high spatial
resolution, and also for influencing such dynamics in close analogy with
cavity optomechanics.