[Phys-seminars] 2011-06-13 Particles and Fields Seminar

lublinm at bgu.ac.il lublinm at bgu.ac.il
Mon Jun 6 14:23:53 IDT 2011

Particles and Fields Seminar

  DATE: 13-06-2011

  TIME: 14:00pm (Mon)

Supergravity Higgs Inflation

SPEAKER:
Ido Ben-Dayan (BGU),

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Tightly connecting inflation and particle physics will move inflation
from the status of a paradigm to a specific theory.
Conversely, it will provide a window for particle physics at energy
scale which could be order of magnitudes above the TeV scale.
I will give an introduction on inflation for non-experts and
demonstrate problems arising from considering the inflaton as some
unknown scalar field.
The situation changes considerably if we take a tightly constrained
particle physics theory, which has to obey additional observations and
theoretical constraints.
I\'ll discuss a model of inflation, where the inflaton is the neutral
part of the Higgs doublet. The model is in the NMSSM supergravity
framework, minimally coupled to gravity.
In this model there is a shift symmetry for the Higgs doublets compatible with
SU(2)_L X U(1) which enables inflation.
While the model is theoretically sound it has several phenomenological
problems and features.
Hence it could be treated as a basis for future model building.
The seminar is part of the requirements of receiving a Ph.D.