[Phys-seminars] 2011-12-19 Condensed Matter Seminar

Yishay Manassen manassen at bgu.ac.il
Mon Dec 12 08:59:52 IST 2011

ANNOUNCEMENT==>
Condensed Matter Seminar
  DATE: 19-12-2011
  TIME: 11:30am (Mon)
Time reversal of short pulses in systems with zero-width bandgaps
SPEAKER:
Dr. Yonatan Sivan, Imperial College, London.
    ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
   Time-reversal of pulses has a variety of applications in fields such
as communication systems, acoustics, THZ- and bio-imaging as well
as quantum information and computing. To date, time-reversal of
optical pulses can be achieved by employing fairly complicated,
band-limited and inefficient schemes, usually relying on several
powerful (nonlinear) wave sources.
In my talk, I will discuss a novel approach to time-reversal
of ultra-short optical pulses using special photonic structures
having zero-width bandgaps and show how these systems may allow
overcoming the limitations of existing schemes. I will discuss
several possible systems with this property and focus on zero-gap
periodic systems. I will show that simple tuning in time allows for
time-reversal of ultrashort optical pulses with unprecedented
simplicity and efficiency. I also suggest several specific designs
for the implementation of our scheme, ways to further simplify
it, and discuss several possible future directions ‎