[Phys-seminars] 2012-01-09 Condensed Matter Seminar

Yishay Manassen manassen at bgu.ac.il
Sat Dec 31 10:07:50 IST 2011

Condensed Matter Seminar
  DATE: 09-01-2012
  TIME: 11:30am (Mon)
Non-adiabatic pumping in an oscillating-piston model
SPEAKER:
Maya Chuchem , Dept. of Physics BGU
ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
We consider the prototypical "piston pump" operating on a ring,
where a circulating current is induced by means of an AC driving.
This can be regarded as a generalized Fermi-Ulam model,
incorporating a finite-height moving wall (piston) and non trivial
topology (ring). The amount of particles transported per cycle is
determined by a layered structure of phase-space. Each layer is
characterized by a different drift velocity. We discuss the
differences compared with the adiabatic and Boltzmann pictures, and
highlight the significance of the "diabatic" contribution that might
lead to a counter-stirring effect. ‎