[Phys-seminars] 2017-01-11 Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

smoshe smoshe at bgu.ac.il
Sun Jan 8 12:11:54 IST 2017

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

Signatures of the topological spin of Josephson vortices in topological superconductors

SPEAKER:
Daniel Ariad, Ben-Gurion University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Realization of non-abelian quasi-particles known as Majorana fermions is an ongoing challenge for physicists exploring topological states of matter. Towards achieving this goal, we recently suggested that Josephson vortices in topological josephson junctions would constitute such Majorana fermions and retain the exchange statistics of bulk vortices. We corroborate this hypothesis by finding the universal exchange phase of Josephson vortices and suggesting an experiment to measure it by. The talk will be divided into two parts. In the first part we will present and discuss the main results of this work. The second part will be a whiteboard presentation in which we show how to calculate the Berry phase in a many-body mean-field problem. Specifically we will show how the numerical results were achieved in our system, as an example for a such a calculation.