[Phys-seminars] 2017-01-17 Physics Colloquium

ymeir ymeir at bgu.ac.il
Thu Jan 12 12:14:30 IST 2017

Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
Quasar outflows are situated thousands of times further from the Super-massive black-hole than previously thought

SPEAKER:
Nahum Arav, Virginia Tech

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Theoretical modelling tend to place quasar outflows at distances of ~0.01 pc. from the central source. Here we report the results of two unbiased surveys targeting outflows that show troughs from S iv. We find that at least 50% of quasar outflows are at distances larger than 100 parsecs from the central source, and at least 12% are at distances larger than 1000 parsecs. These results have profound implications to the study of the origin and acceleration mechanism of quasar outflows, and their effects on the host galaxy
 Refreshments are served at 14:45.