[Phys-seminars] 2017-03-27 Particles and Fields Seminar

guendel guendel at bgu.ac.il
Sun Mar 19 17:41:22 IST 2017

Particles and Fields Seminar

Spin 1/2 properties of massless particles of any spin

SPEAKER:
Professor Alexander Gersten, Department of Physics, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
In previous papers we have derived quantum equations for massless particles of any spin. In this paper we found that all these equations, are equations of the helicity operator and are similar in form to the spin 1/2 equation. In these equations the helicity operators are reducible representations of the helicity operator of spin one-half. The helicity of massless particles of any spin can have only projections in the forward and backward direction of the momentum. In order to have equations with this property, subsidiary conditions have to be imposed. We have developed a Örst quantized equations for massless particles of any spin for which the subsidiary conditions were implicitly included in the main equation. The helicity operators of these equations are reducible representations of the spin 1/2 helicity operator. A new feature of this paper is to use this reducibility to present higher spin equation with its lower spin equivalent. As an application we recover the bi-quat
 ernionic form of Maxwell ís equations (spin 1 equation in a form of spin 1/2 equation). Key words: wave equations, massless particles, any spin, helicity equations, bi-quaternion