[Phys-seminars] 2017-03-28 Physics Colloquium

ymeir ymeir at bgu.ac.il
Wed Mar 22 11:25:40 IST 2017

Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
Gauging nonrelativistic symmetries and applications

SPEAKER:
Rabin Banerjee, SN Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
For quite some time it has been known that nonrelativistic systems possess a bigger symmetry than the usual Galilean symmetry. This is the nonrelativistic general coordinate invariance which has found applications in fractional quantum Hall effect (FQHE), Horava- Lifshitz gravity, Newton-Cartan geometry, to name a few. In this colloquium, we shall introduce a new approach of studying this general coordinate invariance. As applications we will show how spatial diffeomorphism symmetry, which is relevant for FQHE, appears. Also, a simple realisation of Newton-Cartan geometry will be provided that is the basis of Newton\'s gravity.
Refreshments are served at 14:45.