[Phys-seminars] 2017-03-27 Particles and Fields Seminar

guendel guendel at bgu.ac.il
Wed Mar 22 13:57:55 IST 2017

Particles and Fields Seminar

Spin 1/2 properties of massless particles of any spin, and symmetry discrepancies in Maxwell’s equations

SPEAKER:
Professor Alexander Gersten,, Department of Physics, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
COMMENTS: Title slightly extended as compared to that given in the previous announcement of this talk. ......................................................... ABSTRACT: In previous papers we have derived quantum equations for free massless particles of any spin. I will show that these equations, are equations of the helicity operator and are similar in form to the spin 1/2 equation. In these equations the helicity operators are reducible representations of the helicity operator of spin one-half. The helicity of massless particles of any spin can have only projections in the forward and backward direction of the momentum. In order to have equations with this property, subsidiary conditions have to be imposed. We have developed first quantized equations for free massless particles of any spin for which the subsidiary conditions were implicitly included in the main equation. The helicity operators of these equations are reducible representations of the spin 1/2 helicity operat
 or. A simple method of defining potentials and their relation to wave functions was developed. A new feature is to use this reducibility to present higher spin equation with its lower spin equivalent. As an application we recover the bi- quaternionic form of Maxwell\'s equations (spin 1 equation in a form of spin 1/2 equation). We found symmetry discrepancies in Maxwell\'s equations with sources, which explain the fields-potentials differences. At the end of my talk I would like to have your opinion of how Maxwell\'s equations should be modified.