[Phys-seminars] 2017-03-29 Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

smoshe smoshe at bgu.ac.il
Sat Mar 25 11:22:55 IDT 2017

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

Yield in Amorphous Solids: The Ant in the Energy Landscape Labyrinth

SPEAKER:
Ido Regev, Institute for Agriculture and Biotechnology of Drylands, BGU

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
It has recently been shown that yield in amorphous solids under oscillatory shear is a dynamical transition from asymptotically periodic to asymptotically chaotic, diffusive dynamics. However, the type and universality class of this transition are still undecided. Here we show that the diffusive behavior of the vector of coordinates of the particles comprising an amorphous solid when subject to oscillatory shear, is analogous to that of a particle diffusing in a percolating lattice, the so-called \"ant in the labyrinth\" problem, and that yield corresponds to a percolation transition in the lattice. We explain this as a transition in the connectivity of the energy landscape, which affects the phase-space regions accessible to the coordinate vector for a given maximal strain amplitude. This transition provides a natural explanation to the observed limit- cycles, periods larger than one and diverging time-scales at yield.