[Phys-seminars] 2017-05-03 Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

smoshe smoshe at bgu.ac.il
Mon Apr 24 23:20:42 IDT 2017

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

Topological superconductors in multiple flavors: gapped and gapless, in wires and 2DEGs

SPEAKER:
Anna Keselman, Weizmann

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
In this talk, I will discuss new aspects of topological superconductivity. I will first present a novel route to topological superconductivity in one dimension, based on Josephson junctions in which two superconductors are separated by a two-dimensional electron system with strong spin-orbit coupling. Remarkably, in these systems, a phase bias can induce a robust topological superconducting phase in the junction, requiring no fine-tuning of other parameters, in contrast to the more commonly studied wire realization. Moreover, we identify a regime of parameters for which the system can tune itself into the topological phase via a first-order phase transition. In the second part of my talk, I will address the question of the existence of a gapless topological superconducting phase in one dimension. I will argue that in presence of time-reversal symmetry this notion is well defined, and show how it can be realized.