[Phys-seminars] 2017-05-23 Physics Colloquium

ymeir ymeir at bgu.ac.il
Thu May 18 11:44:36 IDT 2017

Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
Unusual quasiparticle correlation in graphene

SPEAKER:
Philip Kim, Harvard University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Interactions between particles in quantum many-body systems can lead to a collective behavior. In a condensed matter system consisting of weakly interacting particles, a propagating particle interacting with its surroundings can be viewed as a \"dressed\" quasiparticle with renormalized mass and other dynamic properties. The lack of screening enables strong Coulomb interactions between charged particles, leading to new collective dynamics. In this talk, I will discuss three examples concerning strongly interacting quasiparticles in graphene. In the first example, it will be shown that the thermally populated electrons and holes to realize Dirac fluid, where a huge violation of Wiedemann-Franz law is observed. The second example is realizing magnetoexcitons to correlated the quasiparticles in quantized Landau levels to form magnetoexcitons, which can condense into Bose-Einstein condensation. Finally, we will also discuss another way of correlated quasi-particles in graphene us
 ing superconducting proximity effect. Here, we employ the crossed Andreev reflection across thin type II superconducting electrodes to correlated spatially separated quasiparticles. Under strong magnetic fields, the quantum Hall edge states can carry these quasiparticles.
Refreshments are served at 14:45.