[Phys-seminars] 2017-05-29 Condensed Matter Seminar

manassen manassen at bgu.ac.il
Thu May 25 12:07:02 IDT 2017

Condensed Matter Seminar

Quantum Impurity in interacting Environment

SPEAKER:
Natan Andrei, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Rutgers University, New Jersey.

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
A Luttinger Liquid coupled to quantum impurity describes a large number of physical systems. The Hamiltonian consists of left- and right-moving fermions interacting among themselves via a density-density coupling and scattering off a quantum impurity modeled either as localised transmitting and reflecting impurity or as a quantum dot. I will present an exact solution of the Hamiltonian by means of an incoming-outgoing scattering Bethe basis which properly incorporates all scattering processes. The consistency of the construction is established through a generalized Yang-Baxter relation. Periodic boundary conditions are imposed and the resulting Bethe Ansatz equations are derived by means of the Off Diagonal Bethe Ansatz approach. We derive the spectrum of the model for all coupling constant regimes and calculate the impurity free energy. We discuss the high and low energy behavior of the system for both repulsive and attractive interactions.