[Phys-seminars] 2017-08-31 Lasers Seminar

barmash barmash at bgu.ac.il
Sun Aug 27 13:42:35 IDT 2017

Lasers Seminar

Adiabatic behavior of the Nitrogen-Vacancy center ground states

SPEAKER:
Yechezkel Schlussel, Department of Physics, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
The negatively charged Nitrogen-Vacancy (NV) center in diamond is formed by a nitrogen atom adjacent to a vacant site in a carbon diamond lattice. Although the NV is within a solid state crystal it has ‘’atom-like” properties such as discrete energy levels, quantum spin state, and long coherence times. Characterizing theoretically and experimentally the adiabaticity of a quantum system is an important part of understanding its underlying physics. By adiabaticity we mean it\'s ability to stay in the same quantum state even though external conditions may vary. In the presented work we studied both theoretically and experimentally the behavior of the NV spins under rapid changes of the external magnetic field. We will also introduce a possible practical application which depends on the adiabatic behavior of the NV center.