[Phys-seminars] 2017-10-31 Physics Colloquium

lublinm lublinm at bgu.ac.il
Sun Oct 22 16:38:23 IDT 2017

Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
The LHC search for the physics behind the Standard Model

SPEAKER:
Yevgeny Kats, BGU

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
I will start with an overview of some of the most important open questions in particle physics. Some of these issues require, and other strongly suggest, the existence of yet-unknown particles and fields in nature. I will argue that the Standard Model is just an effective partial description of a more fundamental theory that stands behind it and is yet to be discovered. I will then focus on the puzzle of the electroweak-Planck hierarchy, where hints about the underlying mechanism are likely to be within the reach of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. In the last part of the talk, I will describe my recent and ongoing theoretical work on interpreting LHC results and proposing new search directions for the physics behind the electroweak-Planck hierarchy and other new phenomena that may be accessible at the LHC. Refreshments are served at 15:15.