[Phys-seminars] 2017-10-24 Colloquium

avivaf avivaf at bgu.ac.il
Tue Oct 24 09:48:35 IDT 2017

Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
Optogenetic approaches in development and cancer

SPEAKER:
David Bensimon, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris and UCLA

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Living organisms are made of cells that are capable of responding to external signals by modifying their internal state (gene expression or protein phosphorylation patterns) and subsequently their external environment by the release of signaling molecules. In multicellular organisms in particular, cellular differentiation and signaling is essential for the development of the organism. While many of the key actors of these processes are known (morphogens in development, kinases in signal transduction) much less is known of the quantitative rules that govern their interaction with one another and with other cellular players In my talk I will present our results regarding the development of means to optically control the expression and activity of proteins at the single cell level in a live organism and its use as a tool to study morphogenesis and tumorigenesis in zebrafish. Our basic idea is to use light to control the activity of proteins through the uncaging of a small ligand
  (cyclofen). The photo-activated ligand releases from cytoplasmic chaperone complexes a fusion of the ligand receptor with the targeted protein. I will present results pertaining to the control of the activity of various proteins (the recombinase Cre, GFP, transcription factors, morphogens and oncogenes) at the single cell level in a live embryo. These results show that single cell control of morphogens and oncogenes is possible in a live organism which open the way for a precise comparison between the relevant models of development and cancer and observations.