[Phys-seminars] 2017-11-08 Astrophysics and Cosmology Seminar

zitrin zitrin at bgu.ac.il
Thu Nov 2 16:33:23 IST 2017

Astrophysics and Cosmology Seminar

Void dynamics as a probe of cosmology and gravity

SPEAKER:
Dr. Nico Hamaus, University Observatory Munich

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Redshift surveys measure the location of millions of galaxies in the observable Universe, thereby constructing a three-dimensional map of its large-scale structure. This structure is characterized by dense clusters of galaxies, connected by filaments and sheets of lower density. The remaining and dominant volume within this cosmic web is taken up by voids, vast regions of relatively empty space. I will highlight some recent advances in modeling average void density and velocity profiles, as well as their anisotropic shapes in redshift space on the basis of simulations and mock galaxy catalogs. While clusters, filaments and sheets have entered various stages of nonlinearity in the past, voids represent structures whose dynamic evolution can be described remarkably well by linear theory, suggesting them to be among the most pristine objects to consider for future studies on the nature of dark energy, dark matter and gravity. I will present first results in this context, obtaine
 d via the analysis of galaxy survey data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey.