[Phys-seminars] 2017-11-16 Astrophysics and Cosmology Seminar

zitrin zitrin at bgu.ac.il
Fri Nov 10 18:03:59 IST 2017

Astrophysics and Cosmology Seminar

 PLACE: NOTE SPECIAL TIME (THURSDAY 11:00) AND PLACE (FINAL ROOM TBA).

TITLE:
Weighing Galaxy Clusters with Weak Lensing

SPEAKER:
Dr. Elinor Medezinski, Department of Astrophysical Sciences, Princeton University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
With recent advancements in Sunyeav-Zel\'dovich (SZ) surveys, cluster abundance is becoming one of the promising tools of precision cosmology, but it requires robust cluster mass calibration. Weak lensing provides a direct measure of the cluster mass, both baryonic and dark, yet is limited by our ability to model and control the systematics. The Subaru Hyper Suprime-Cam (HSC) survey is underway and will image 1400 square degrees to unprecedentedly deep, r~26 mag, and exquisite seeing, i~0.5”. In this talk, I will present the HSC survey and discuss the challenges in measuring the weak lensing mass of galaxy clusters using the first HSC data release of ~150 square degrees. I will show how we calibrate the Planck SZ cluster masses with the aid of HSC weak lensing, and present the next- generation of surveys that will bring us to per-cent level cosmological constraints.