[Phys-seminars] 2017-11-20 Condensed Matter Seminar

dganit dganit at bgu.ac.il
Mon Nov 13 21:03:13 IST 2017

Condensed Matter Seminar

Electron magnetotransport in disordered Weyl semimetals

SPEAKER:
Pavel Ostrovsky, Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
We study magnetotransport in a disordered Weyl semimetal taking into account localization effects. In the vicinity of a Weyl node, a single chiral Landau level coexists with a number of conventional non-chiral levels. Disorder scattering mixes these topologically different modes leading to peculiar localization effects. Similar interplay of topology and localization occurs at the edge of a two-dimensional topological insulator and in carbon nanotubes. We develop a general theory describing transport phenomena in all these cases. Our theory yields conductance, shot noise power, and full counting statistics of the charge transfer. In the case of a Weyl semimetal, we find that localization is greatly enhanced in a strong magnetic field with the localization length scaling as 1/B. This situation is typical for all topological conductors with broken time-reversal symmetry. Systems with preserved time-reversal symmetry (e.g., carbon nanotubes), sustain at most one topologically pro
 tected channel. For this case, we derive exact distribution function of transmission probabilities based on the mapping to a certain random-matrix model.