[Phys-seminars] 2017-11-22 Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

smoshe smoshe at bgu.ac.il
Wed Nov 15 19:09:12 IST 2017

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

Thermal Response in Nano-Junctions Out of Equilibrium

SPEAKER:
Yair Mazal, Ben Gurion University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Thermo-electric effects in nano-scale junctions are an important tool for studying electron dynamics in such systems, and hold potential for future uses in energy conversion. Motivated by recent experimental progress, we consider the non-equilibrium thermo- electric response of a double quantum dot (DQD). Specifically, we ask what is the effect of heating one of the leads in the junction on electric transport. Using a rate equation formalism, we are able to study a wide range of parameters, including both tunneling within the DQD, intra- and inter-dot Coulomb interactions and junction asymmetry. In particular, we show the significant role degeneracy play in transport in the presence of strong interaction. We also discuss levels connected in parallel, and show that the interplay between hopping and Coulomb interactions can be used as a switching mechanism. Finally, we show that at finite temperature difference between leads, non-monotonic dependence of current on temperature d
 ifference is expected. All these predictions are made for realistic parameters, which can be tuned in an actual apparatus.