[Phys-seminars] 2017-12-07 Lasers Seminar

barmash barmash at bgu.ac.il
Sat Dec 2 17:09:43 IST 2017

Lasers Seminar

Using Photon Statistics to Understand Microsecond Dynamics of Proteins

SPEAKER:
Gilad Haran, Chemical Physics Department, Weizmann Institute of Science

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Single-molecule fluorescence spectroscopy is a method of choice for studying the mechanism of action of complex biological machines in real time. In particular, single-molecule fluorescence resonance energy transfer (smFRET), where the interaction between two fluorescent molecules is probed, has been shown to yield important insights on protein dynamics. We recently developed a novel photon-by-photon analysis method that pushes the time resolution of smFRET to the microsecond time scale. In this lecture I will briefly describe how photon statistics can be used to obtain information on protein motions, and then show how we apply it to important biological problems.