[Phys-seminars] 2017-12-14 Joint Lasers Seminar and Physics Colloquium

barmash barmash at bgu.ac.il
Thu Dec 7 19:49:01 IST 2017

Joint Lasers Seminar and Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15 (PAY ATTENTION TO THE PLACE!!!)

TITLE:
Principles and spectroscopic applications of High-order Harmonic Generation

SPEAKER:
Prof. Salvatore Stagira, Dipartimento di Fisica - Politecnico di Milano

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Atomic and molecular gases exposed to ultrashort and moderately intense laser pulses emit coherent radiation, that appears in time domain as a train of attosecond light bursts and in the spectral domain as harmonics of the driving laser field extending up to several hundreds of eV. This process, known as High-order Harmonic Generation (HHG), is nowadays exploited in several leading-edge applications of Atomic and Molecular Physics. In this colloquium we will provide a background about the physical mechanisms governing HHG and we will then present some hints about the technology behind it. Afterwards we will discuss about two spectroscopic applications of HHG: the study of the giant resonance in Xenon and the retrieval of the Highest Occupied Molecular Orbital in simple molecules. Refreshments are served at 14:45.