[Phys-seminars] 2017-12-13 Astrophysics and Cosmology Seminar

zitrin zitrin at bgu.ac.il
Thu Dec 7 21:48:34 IST 2017

Astrophysics and Cosmology Seminar

High energy radiation from jets and accretion disks near rotating black holes

SPEAKER:
Dr. Asaf Pe\'er, University College Cork

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
In recent years there is a rapid advance in understanding the conditions that lead to launching of astronomical jets and their internal properties. This is expected to be further enhanced with the recent operation of the event horizon telescope (EHT), that is expected to publish its first results in 2018. In this talk, I will describe a serious of works we conducted recently aimed at testing the observational signatures that discriminates between emission from jets and accretion disks, test the jet power-black hole spin relation, jet filling factor, and explain the rapid variability seen in blazars as due to turbulence in the inner jet region.