[Phys-seminars] 2018-01-17 Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

smoshe smoshe at bgu.ac.il
Mon Jan 1 17:15:42 IST 2018

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

Protected ground states in short chains of coupled spins

SPEAKER:
Eytan Grosfeld, Ben-Gurion University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
In this informal talk, I will describe the properties of a short chain of two level systems with both local and non-local spin-spin interactions. We find a phase admitting two ground states which are highly protected against all local field perturbations, persisting across a range of parameters. I will discuss my ongoing efforts to classify the phases of the chain.