[Phys-seminars] 2018-01-02 Physics Colloquium

okrichev okrichev at bgu.ac.il
Tue Jan 2 08:38:22 IST 2018

Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
Design principles of cell-cell signaling processes

SPEAKER:
David Sprinzak, Tel-Aviv University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Complex cellular patterns are formed during embryonic development through coordinated differentiation of cells in space and time. To facilitate these coordinated patterning processes, cells use a variety of cell-cell signaling systems to communicate with each other. How each signaling system is optimized to perform its unique function during development is one of the main questions in modern developmental biology. We use a combination of quantitative live cell imaging, and mathematical modeling to elucidate some of the design principles underlying two major signaling pathways: Notch signaling, used to coordinate differentiation between neighboring cells, and Fat-Dachsous signaling, used for coordination of cell polarity in 2D cell layers. The first part of the talk will focus on how the interplay between signaling and cellular morphology can affect developmental patterning processes. In the second part of the talk, I will describe how localized feedbacks between protein compl
 exes on the boundary between cells underlie the emergence of long range cell polarity in the plane of the cell layer. I will emphasize the link between molecular properties of the signaling molecules and their role in coordinating short and long range patterning process. Refreshments are served at 15:15.