[Phys-seminars] 2018-01-08 Condensed Matter Seminar

dganit dganit at bgu.ac.il
Thu Jan 4 12:14:18 IST 2018

Condensed Matter Seminar

Quantized gravitational responses and the sign problem in quantum Monte Carlo.

SPEAKER:
Zohar Ringel, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
It is believed that many quantum systems cannot be simulated efficiently using classical computational resources. This notion is supported by the fact that in quantum Monte Carlo (QMC) simulations for a large number of important problems it is not known how to express the partition function in a sign-free manner. The answer to the question --- whether there is an fundamental obstruction to such a sign-free representation in generic quantum systems --- remains unclear. In this talk I\'ll describe how gravitational anomalies act as obstructions to local sign-free QMC. In condensed matter physics gravitational anomalies are intimately related to quantized thermal Hall responses, a phenomena which occurs in various fractional quantum Hall effects. I\'ll also briefly discuss the connection between gravitational effects and sign problems in frustrated antiferromagnets and in certain critical two dimensional vertex models. Ref: http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/9/e1701758 Pop
 ular science Ref: https://www.sciencealert.com/quantum-complexity-rules-out-our-universe-as-a-computer- simulation