[Phys-seminars] 2018-01-16 Physics Colloquium

dcohen dcohen at bgu.ac.il
Sun Jan 14 07:08:52 IST 2018

Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
Aperiodic tilings, old and new - an overflight

SPEAKER:
Prof. Shelomo Ben Avraham, BGU

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
I briefly sketch the background and motivation for studying ordered aperiodic structures. I show a few examples of fivefold tilings relevant to metallic quasicrystals as well as some twelvefold tilings occurring mainly in soft matter. I present my own eightfold spacefilling structure interpreting the structure of the MnSiAl quasiperiodic phase in terms of covering by clusters. By comparison of the Golay-Rudin-Shapiro and Champernowne sequences I demonstrate that nonzero entropy does not imply stochasticity. Eventually I show our own multidimensional generalizations of the Paperfolding and Period doubling sequences as well as the Chair code, Table and Squiral equivalent tilings. Refreshments are served at 15:15.