[Phys-seminars] 2018-01-24 Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

dcohen dcohen at bgu.ac.il
Mon Jan 22 16:26:06 IST 2018

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

Turbulent Instability of Two-Dimensional Sonic Black Holes: Superfluid Vortices and Quasi-Steady Emission of Sound

SPEAKER:
Prof. Dr. James Anglin, University of Kaiserslautern

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Studies of sonic analog black holes have concentrated on (1+1)-dimensional scenarios, but Unruh�s analogy is only valid in more than one spatial dimension. We simulate a sonic black-hole/white-hole pair in a (2+1)-dimensional Bose-Einstein condensate and observe the formation of many superfluid vortices through dynamical instabilities seeded by simulated quantum noise. The turbulent ergoregion radiates sound but it is not thermal. Our results show that the Hawking effect is vulnerable to short-distance physics and that observing it with quantum gases is more difficult than previously hoped.