[Phys-seminars] 2018-01-29 Condensed Matter Seminar - reminder

ymeir ymeir at bgu.ac.il
Mon Jan 29 09:17:25 IST 2018

Condensed Matter Seminar - reminder

Fault-tolerant measurement of a quantum error syndrome

SPEAKER:
Serge Rosenblum, Yale University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Quantum error correction is a technique that can allow quantum computers to operate despite the presence of noise and imperfections. A critical component of any error correcting scheme is the mapping of a quantum error syndrome onto an ancilla qubit. However, errors occurring in the ancilla can propagate through the mapping operation onto the logical qubit, and irreversibly corrupt the encoded information. A fault-tolerant measurement protocol, which prevents the occurrence of such uncorrectable errors, is therefore a prerequisite for scaling up quantum error correction. I will present our recent demonstration of the fault-tolerant measurement of an error syndrome on a logical qubit encoded in a superconducting resonator. We achieve fault tolerance hardware-efficiently by coupling the logical qubit to a single multilevel ancilla transmon. The cavity-ancilla interaction is modified in-situ using off-resonant sideband drives to make the logical qubit transparent to all first-or
 der ancilla errors. We achieve a sevenfold increase in the average number of syndrome measurements performed without destroying the logical qubit. These results demonstrate that hardware-efficient approaches which exploit system-specific error models can yield practical advances towards fault-tolerant quantum computation.