[Phys-seminars] 2018-03-21 Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

smoshe smoshe at bgu.ac.il
Thu Mar 8 17:13:05 IST 2018

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

Soft excitations in glassy systems: Universal statistics, quasi-localization, disordered phonons and structural indicators

Eran Bouchbinder, Weizmann Institute

The structure, properties and dynamics of glassy systems continue to pose great theoretical challenges. Of particular interest are (i) the effects of disorder on the nature and statistics of soft (low frequency) excitations that play an essential role in the thermodynamics, transport properties and strongly irreversible responses of these systems at low-temperatures (ii) the relations between the underlying disorder-induced structures and the dynamics of these systems. In this talk, I will review our recent progress in addressing these basic problems. I will first establish the existence of non-phononic soft harmonic excitations in atomistic calculations based on finite-size scaling analysis and extreme-value statistics considerations. These excitations feature a disordered core characterized by an atomistic localization length decorated with a dipolar power-law decay in space (quasi-localization), and follow a universal gapless ω^4 density of states. These results resolve a
  decades-long debate in relation to the existence and properties of non-phononic soft excitations in glasses, which we show to be associated with the generic existence of frustration-induced internal-stresses. Then I will discuss the interaction of these quasi-localized glassy excitations with disordered phonons and their far-reaching implications for structure-dynamics relations in the context of irreversible (plastic) rearrangements upon nonlinear driving. References: E. Lerner, G. Düring and E. Bouchbinder, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 035501 (2016) E. Lerner and E. Bouchbinder, Phys. Rev. E. 96, 020104(R) (2017) E. Lerner and E. Bouchbinder, arXiv:1711.11263 (2017) E. Bouchbinder and E. Lerner, arXiv:1801.05170 (2018) J. Zylberg, E. Lerner, Y. Bar-Sinai and E. Bouchbinder, PNAS 114, 7289 (2017) E. Lerner and E. Bouchbinder, arXiv:1802.01131 (2018)