[Phys-seminars] 2018-04-10 Physics Colloquium

eichler eichler at bgu.ac.il
Sun Apr 8 11:40:58 IDT 2018

Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
Breaking the Speed Limit of Optical Homodyne Measurement (by 5 Orders of Magnitude)

SPEAKER:
Prof. Avi Pe\'er, Bar Ilan University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Homodyne measurement is a corner-stone of quantum optics. It measures the fundamental variables of quantum electrodynamics - the quadratures of light, which represent the cosine-wave and sine-wave components of an optical field and constitute the quantum optical analog of position and momentum. Yet, standard homodyne, which is used to measure the quadrature information, suffers from a severe bandwidth limitation: While the bandwidth of optical states can easily span many THz, standard homodyne detection is inherently limited to the electrically accessible, MHz-to-GHz range, leaving a dramatic gap between the relevant optical phenomena and the measurement capability. We recently demonstrated a fully parallel optical homodyne measurement across an arbitrary optical bandwidth, effectively lifting the bandwidth limitation completely. Using optical parametric amplification, which amplifies one quadrature while attenuating the other, we could measure quadrature squeezing of 1.7dB b
 elow the vacuum level simultaneously across a bandwidth of 55THz . I will discuss the broad context of quantum measurement of light, and will review our results