[Phys-seminars] 2018-04-25 Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

smoshe smoshe at bgu.ac.il
Sun Apr 22 20:01:57 IDT 2018

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

How vortex bound states affect the Hall conductivity of a chiral p-wave superconductor

SPEAKER:
Daniel Ariad, Ben-Gurion University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
The physics of a planar chiral p-wave superconductor is studied for various vortex configurations, and the occurrence of vortex quasi- particle bound states is presented together with their ensuing collective properties, such as sub-gap bands induced by inter-vortex tunneling. To this end, I will first show a general method to diagonalize the Hamiltonian of a superconductor in the presence of a vortex lattice, that employs only smooth gauge transformations. It renders the Hamiltonian to be periodic (thus allowing the use of a Bloch theorem) and enables the treatment of systems with vortices of finite radii. Then I will show how the corresponding Hall conductivity σxy can be calculated using the Streda formula. The results reveal that the contribution to σxy from the vortices is quantized. I will argue that the quantized contribution is due to the formation of bound states, and deduce from it the system's quantum phase.