[Phys-seminars] 2018-04-24 Physics Colloquium

okrichev okrichev at bgu.ac.il
Mon Apr 23 23:46:31 IDT 2018

Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
Inorganic Voltage Nanosensors

SPEAKER:
Shimon Weiss, UCLA and Bar-Ilan University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
We have been developing targetable voltage sensing inorganic nanoparticles (vsNPs) that are designed to self-insert into the cell membrane and non-invasively optically record, via the quantum confined Stark effect, action potential on the single-particle level, at multi-sites and in a large field-of-view. We synthesized a library of vsNPs with different compositions and developed a high-throughput screen for optimization of their performance. We have explored several strategies for imparting these vsNPs with membrane-protein-like properties, including functionalization with libraries of peptides, lipids, and nanodiscs. We have developed screening assays for improving the efficiency of vsNPs� membrane insertion and for their voltage sensitivity once embedded in the membrane. We have demonstrated membrane voltage sensing by membrane- inserted vsNPs in WT HEK cells using valinomycin and modulated concentration of potassium ions in a microfluidic chamber, and by patch
 -clamped in primary cultured cortical neurons. These novel voltage nansensors hold great promise for electrophysiological investigations of the nervous system. Refreshments are served at 15:15.