[Phys-seminars] 2018-05-09 Astrophysics and Cosmology Seminar

zitrin zitrin at bgu.ac.il
Sat May 5 15:32:00 IDT 2018

Astrophysics and Cosmology Seminar

Possible connection between the asymmetry of the North Polar Spur, Loop-I and Fermi Bubbles

SPEAKER:
Dr. Sarkar Kartick, HUJI

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
The North Polar Spur (NPS) is one of the biggest structures in the sky and has been known for almost half a century. The distance/origin of it, since then, has been debated over two possible scenarios- first, a local (~200 pc) origin and second, a Galactic centre origin. One of the crucial arguments against the Galactic centre origin is the apparent asymmetry of the NPS across the Galactic plane. In this talk I will show that the asymmetry of the X-ray signatures associated with the NPS can be obtained if the circumgalactic medium density in the southern Galactic hemisphere is approximately 20% smaller than the northern one. Moreover, the X-ray and gamma-ray signals from the Loop-I can also be explained at the same model. This proposition is also supported by the fact that the southern Fermi Bubble is approx 5 degrees bigger than the northern one. I will also discuss the implications of such a common origin scenario on the existing models of the Fermi Bubbles.