[Phys-seminars] 2018-05-15 Physics Colloquium

okrichev okrichev at bgu.ac.il
Wed May 9 09:25:17 IDT 2018

Physics Colloquium

 PLACE: Nanotechnology institute building (#51) room 15

TITLE:
Wonders of viscous electronics

SPEAKER:
Gregory Falkovich, Weizmann Institute of Sciences

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Quantum-critical strongly correlated systems feature universal collision-dominated collective transport. Viscous electronics is an emerging field dealing with systems in which strongly interacting electrons flow like a fluid. Such flows have some remarkable properties never seen before. I shall describe recent theoretical and experimental works devoted, in particular, to a striking macroscopic DC transport behavior: viscous friction can drive electric current against an applied field, resulting in a negative resistance, recently measured experimentally in graphene. I shall also describe conductance exceeding the fundamental quantum-ballistic limit, field-theoretical anomalies and other wonders of viscous electronics. Strongly interacting electron-hole plasma in high-mobility graphene affords a unique link between quantum-critical electron transport and the wealth of fluid mechanics phenomena. Refreshments are served at 15:15.