[Phys-seminars] 2018-05-16 Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

smoshe smoshe at bgu.ac.il
Sat May 12 14:13:40 IDT 2018

Condensed Matter Theory Seminar

Probing Entropy Using Transport Measurements

SPEAKER:
Yaakov Kleeorin, Ben-Gurion University

ABSTRACT/COMMENTS:
Entropy is a fundamental thermodynamic quantity that holds information about the ground state and low lying excitations of a system. Currently, measurement of entropy is difficult to achieve experimentally. In this talk, I will survey a method for extracting the entropy in mesoscopic systems by performing simple transport measurements and relating the transport coefficients through the degrees of freedom in the system. This technique allows for the discerning of the underlying model in mesoscopic systems where the system in question is not always obvious. Finally, through recent anomalous experimental results where the mechanism was not previously understood, I will demonstrate the use of this technique for finding the relevant model.